Here's my outline from last Sunday at State Street. At the bottom, you can watch the message.
Key Text: Acts 4:1-31
The Big Idea: Action and contemplation are sacred helpmates.
- Prayer is being willing to engage the things of Christ on the deepest of levels in silence, in conversation, and in communion.
- We pray not to draw God closer to us, but to remind ourselves that God is already near.
- “Dear Jesus, do something.” - Vladimir Nabokov
- "The response of the apostles to persecution is prayer, not for relief or deliverance from persecution but for boldness and power to continue to proclaim the word even in the midst of such adversity." - Ben Witherington, The Acts of the Apostles: A Socio-Rhetorical Commentary
- “The wise man in the storm prays God not for safety from danger but for deliverance from fear.” ― Ralph Waldo Emerson